This Beautiful Inheritance: A Not-As-Bad-As-We-Thought Day

Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Not-As-Bad-As-We-Thought Day

Well, yesterday was the day.

The day that Eden got tubes put in her ears.

Even though I was dreading it, I was also looking forward to it. She hasn't slept well for a couple of months now ever, and I was really hopeful this would help.

So we got up at the crack of dawn and headed to the surgery center. I was nervous about how Eden would do with us waking her so early and strapping her in the car seat for a 30-minute trip WITH NO JUICE. But shockingly, she was so happy!

She was being the sweetest little thing on the ride over. She was giggling and loving on her teddy bear. She was all smiles. It almost made me feel bad about what we were taking her to do. She was so clueless!

When we arrived, the receptionist gave her a handful of Dora and Pooh Bear stickers, which turned out to be a lifesaver. They kept her fairly occupied while we waited in the prep room. However, every time a nurse or doctor came in to talk with us, she got a little more nervous. She started to realize that something NOT SO FUN was about to happen.

My hubby, who was totally aggravated that I kept making him take pictures at A TIME LIKE THIS, kept snapping them at the completely wrong times. Hence, the odd half-smile I'm sporting.
Sad, scared girl

Finally, a nurse (who thank goodness knew the names of every Dora character) carried our sweet baby away from us and down the hall. She kept her occupied for about 15 seconds, naming Dora, Boots and Swiper, but we heard the cries start as they were just out of sight.

Then, we waited.

For a whole 10 minutes.

Seriously, it was the quickest procedure ever.

The doctor then led us back to the recovery room, where our sweet baby was soundly sleeping off the anesthesia. She looked so sweet and peaceful. I was seriously tempted to take a picture if the hubs wouldn't have killed me.

After about 10 more minutes, she woke up. The nurse had warned us that she would probably be hysterical when she woke so I was prepping for the worse. But as she stirred and started to cry I grabbed her up and gave her a cup of juice.

And all was well.

We were stunned at how well she did.

She wasn't hysterical at all. In fact, I don't think we could have asked for it to go any better. We sat in the recovery room and ate "Dora snacks" and counted our stickers and sang Bible School songs, and in no time, we were free to leave.

By the time we got to Chick-Fil-A for breakfast, it was just another day.

And a fun one at that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...